iOS 16 was released last month for compatible iPhone models. It has added several new software features, including some useful ones like the function to remove background from photos. In this guide, NextPit will tell you how to do it in simple steps.
Removing background photos highlights the subject and then changes it to a new image with a clean background. This feature also works in the Photos, File Manager, and Safari apps. It is also supported by messages, mail and notes. But we will tell you about the first three stages of applications.
Does my iPhone support background removal?
While Remove Background is a software feature available under Visual Lookup, it’s only available for iPhones with the A12 chipset or higher. That means it won’t work with older iPhone models even when running on iOS 16. Below are the compatible iPhone devices that work with Backgrounds.
- iPhone SE (2nd and 3rd generation)
- iPhone XR, XS, XS Max
- iPhone 11, Pro, Pro Max
- iPhone 12, Mini, Pro, Pro Max
- iPhone 13, Mini, Pro, Pro Max
- iPhone 14, Plus, Pro, Pro Max
How to remove backgrounds from photos through photos
Before removing any background, it is recommended that the photo has a clear subject with front and back separation. For example, it works best for images where the subject is in focus with sharp edges.
Since Photos is the default gallery app, the feature is already built into it. Here’s how to remove backgrounds from photos:
- Choose a photo that focuses on a good subject.
- Long press the subject on the photo.
- Wait for the white glow running around the border of the subject to disappear.
- Stop pressing the subject and you will be approached copy Or Share Options.
- Or you can drag the image directly into apps like messaging.
How to remove backgrounds from photos in the file manager app
Background removal from photos in the file manager is also enabled. It works in the same way as the method in the photos, although with an additional tap. More importantly, newly created images are automatically saved in the same folder. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Files app.
- Browse and select the image.
- Long press the image.
- Choose Quick steps > Remove the background.
- Access the new image in the same location.
How to remove background from photos on web pages through Safari
Users can use the Remove Background feature through Apple’s Safari browser. However, you are first approached to copy the image to your clipboard.
- Go to the web page on Safari.
- Long press the selected image.
- Choose Copy subject.
- Paste the image into supported apps or messaging services.
Should You Use the Remove Background on iOS 16?
The behavior is not perfect, but it is effective in most cases. Plus, it’s a fun tool to have if you’re into generating and sharing stickers. This will be useful for photo editing as well. As such, it is already free and will certainly receive updates over time.
How often do you use the background remover on your iPhone? We’d love to hear how you use this new tool.