Apple is now rolling out iOS 17.2 and it brings a number of noteworthy updates, including the new Journal app, support for Qi2 charging, spatial recording on the iPhone 15 Pro series, and a camera, action button, and weather app. The new update comes in at 1.49GB and is available on iPhone Xs or newer devices. Apple is following a scheduled release so some users may have to wait a little longer before the update is available on their devices.
The Journal app is Apple’s latest health and wellness app that allows users to reflect on their day and practice gratitude. The app can use information on your phone, such as location, photos or sports activities, to create “moments” that help you write recommendations.
Journal app in iOS 17.2
Apple is updating the action button on the iPhone 15 Pro series by adding a translation option toggle.
iPhone 15 Pro models can now record spatial video with support for Apple Vision Pro. Apple is boasting improved telephoto focus speed on the 15 Pro series.
Messages gets an interesting feature that lets you read the first unread message in a chat with an arrow. Apple has added new sticker options and Memoji customization.
Weather gets new widgets for rain and snow, wind map snapshots, and precipitation rates. Some of the under-the-radar improvements that appeared in iOS 17.2 include Qi2 charger support for iPhone 13 and above, wireless charging adjustments on select vehicles, and AirBook improvements.
iOS 17.2 full changelog
- Journal is a new app that lets you write about the small moments and big events in your life to practice gratitude and improve well-being.
- Journal suggestions make it easy to remember your experiences by categorizing your trips, photos, workouts, and more into moments you can add to your journal.
- Filters allow you to revisit and reflect on key moments in your life, quickly find bookmarked entries, or display entries with attachments.
- Scheduled notifications help you maintain a consistent journaling practice by reminding you to write on a date and time of your choosing.
- With the option to lock your journal using Touch ID or Face ID, iCloud sync keeps your journal entries safe and encrypted on iCloud.
- Translate the action key on iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max to quickly translate phrases or speak in another language
- Location Video lets you record video on iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max so you can relive your memories in three dimensions on Apple Vision Pro
- Improved telephoto camera focus on speed when capturing small and distant objects on iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max
- Holding Arrow Tap the arrow in the top right corner to easily jump to the first unread message in a conversation.
- The Add Sticker option in the context menu allows you to add a sticker directly to the bubble
- Memoji updates include the ability to edit the body shape of any Memoji
- Contact Key Verification provides automatic alerts and contact verification codes to help ensure that people who encounter unusual digital threats are only communicating with the people they’re messaging.
- The rainfall forecast will help you stay in the rain and snow conditions for a certain day in the next 10 days
- New widgets let you choose from next-hour rain, daily forecast, sunrise and sunset times, and current conditions like air quality, mood, and wind speed.
- Wind map snapshot helps you quickly assess wind patterns and access the animated wind map overlay to help you prepare for forecast conditions for the next 24 hours
- The interactive moon calendar allows you to easily see the moon phase on any day of the next month
- AirDrop improvements including expanded contact sharing options and the ability to share boarding passes, cinema tickets and other eligible passes by bringing two iPhones together
- The Favorite Songs playlist in Apple Music lets you quickly return to the songs you’ve marked as favorites
- Use Listening History in Apple Music can be disabled by default so that the music you’re listening to doesn’t show up in Recently Played or affect your recommendations.
- A new digital clock widget lets you quickly check the time on your home screen and in standby mode.
- Improved AutoFill identifies fields in PDFs and other forms, allowing them to be filled in with information such as names and addresses.
- New keyboard layouts support 8 Sami languages
- A sensitive content warning for stickers in messages prevents an accidental nudity sticker from appearing.
- Qi2 charger support for all iPhone 13 and iPhone 14 models
- Fixes an issue preventing wireless charging on certain vehicles
Improvements and bug fixes