Introduction and details
Looking for a cheaper Samsung experience? The Galaxy A04s is as low as it gets in the Samsung hierarchy. But being cheap doesn’t always mean something is good value, so it’s worth taking a closer look at this popular entry-level device.
Surprisingly, we found out that Samsung’s other model – Galaxy M13 – is similar with some minor differences in the camera department. The Indian version of the Galaxy M13 is the same phone as the Galaxy A04s, but with a bigger battery. The Galaxy A13 is another phone released earlier this year that completely matches the specs of the A04s.
Samsung Galaxy A04s • Samsung Galaxy M13 • Samsung Galaxy M13 (India) • Samsung Galaxy A13
We don’t blame you if you’re confused, but the main takeaway is that the Galaxy A04s probably offer the same user experience as the two M13s. So for all purposes, you can use this review as a reference point for M13 and M13 (India).
Samsung Galaxy A04s Specifications at a Glance:
- Body: 164.7×76.7×9.1mm, 195g; Glass front, plastic back, plastic frame.
- Show: 6.50 inch PLS LCD, 90Hz, 400 nits (edge), 720x1600px resolution, 20:9 aspect ratio, 270ppi.
- Chipset Exynos 850 (8nm): Octa-core (4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55 & 4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55); Mali-G52.
- Memory: 32GB 3GB RAM, 32GB 4GB RAM, 64GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 4GB RAM; eMMC 5.1; microSDXC (provided).
- Operating System/Software: Android 12, One UI Core 4.
- rear camera; wide (main): 50 MP, f / 1.8, PDAF; Macro: 2 MP, f/2.4; Depth: 2MP, f/2.4.
- Front camera: 5 MP, f/2.2, (wide).
- Video recording: Rear camera: 1080p@30fps; Front camera: 720p@30fps
- Battery: 5000mAh; 15W charging.
- Miscellaneous: Fingerprint reader (mounted on the side); NFC; 3.5 mm jack; Virtual proximity sensor.
Either way, the Galaxy A04s runs on a low-end Exynos 850 SoC paired with 3GB of RAM and 32GB of internal storage with microSD card expansion. Obviously we are talking about a phone between €100, but we were surprised to see a display with a high refresh rate. The 6.5-inch IPS display is 90Hz, albeit with a resolution of 720 x 1600px.
Since the Exynos 850 chipset relies on an energy-efficient CPU with eight low-power Cortex-A55 cores, we expect great battery endurance in our tests. The 5,000 mAh battery will last you quite a while, though it will take more than an hour to fully charge.
Finally, the device runs on Samsung’s lightweight user interface called One UI Core 4, which in turn is based on Android 12.
Unboxing Samsung Galaxy A04s
The device ships in a small retail box containing a user manual and a SIM card tri-pin.
Unfortunately, Samsung didn’t include a charger or a protective case. But you do get a USB-C to USB-C cable.