Digi’s adventure into modular cameras has ended – the new Osmo Action 3 camera returns to the original one-piece design (and carries the “Osmo” name to further distance itself from the Action 2).
The DJI Osmo Action 3 uses the same camera setup as the Action 2 – a 12MP 1/1.7″ sensor behind a 155° ultra wide lens (f/2.8). Videos are recorded to a microSD card at up to 130Mbps.
Basic video modes are the same as before – 4K at 120fps (16:9) or 60fps (4:3) and 1080p at 240fps (16:9). There are several slow motion modes and hyperlapse up to 4K resolution.
The new model brings improved RockSteady 3.0 electronic image stabilization, which works up to 4K/120fps. HorizonSteady is back and maintains the horizon even if you rotate the camera 360°, but is limited to 2.7K/60fps. A new HorizonBalancing mode exists as a middle ground, with up to 45° tilt adjustment and up to 4K/60fps.
Since vertical video is unfortunately popular in the modern world, the camera comes with a new protective frame with two attachment points – one on the bottom and one on the side, so you can quickly switch between horizontal and vertical video. The quick release design has been improved since Action 2 with the addition of “locked, impact resistant grip” points.
The small 1.4-inch display on the front of the Osmo Action 3 has got a touch function, so vloggers can use it to change the camera settings. The same was possible with the Action 2’s front touchscreen module, but that’s in the past. Also, the rear display is larger, 2.25 inches (vs. 1.76).
The camera can record up to 160 minutes (at 1080p/30fps, no EIS, screen off). Thanks to improved temperatures, the only limitation on 4K/60fps recording is how long the battery lasts.
DJI Osmo Step 3
Most impressively, it has a wide operating temperature range from -20° to 45°C (-4° to 113°F) with the included battery. GoPro usually sells Enduro Extended Cold Weather batteries separately. Note that you cannot charge the batteries below freezing (a common problem with lithium batteries) and the charging range is 5° to 40°C (41° to 104°F).
On the plus side, the battery has fast charging support – 0-80% time is 18 minutes, the remaining 20% requires another 32 minutes.
The camera is waterproof and can be submerged up to 16m (52ft) without a case. If you need to go deeper, DJI has a special case. A color temperature sensor helps the camera deliver more accurate colors when moving underwater and on the surface. The two touchscreens and camera lens are protected by Gorilla Glass and can withstand drops from 1.5m (5ft). In addition, the screens have a hydrophobic coating, which allows you to use them even with wet fingers.
For audio, the camera has three microphones and you can plug in external mics using a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter. Action 3 can be used as a webcam for high-quality video and audio during conferences and live broadcasts.
DJI Osmo Action 3 is available at the DJI Store starting today. Standard combo is $330/€360/£310 (camera, horizontal/vertical protective case and some mounting accessories) Adventure combo is $440/€460/£400 (includes two extra batteries, battery case and 1.5m extension rod).
DJI Osmo Action 3: Standard Combo • Adventure Combo
Check out the first promotional video for a preview of what the new action camera can do:
source | as if